Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day 75: Don't You (Forget About Me)

One of the things I and a couple of friends I've made often talk about in prison is: will any of us acknowledge another prisoner if we meet some time later, on the street?

Because there is a mix of all types here. A few other professionals. A couple homeless drug addicts. Some wayward teenagers. Guys who work in construction, guys who own their own small businesses. People in food service and health care. Some Black guys with gang affiliations, and some of their Latino rivals.

But on the block we are all the same and there is virtually no cliquishness. I am even addressing some Latino guys as "tu", instead of "usted", and am amusing myself with this just like Larry David did.

So last evening I was explaining this to Brenda, hoping she found it as amusing as I did. Such a band of misfits, nothing in common, but everything in common.

She replied, "So you are saying prison is like The Breakfast Club?"

Bravo!

No comments: